Companies for Causes is a new approach to philanthropy
We are CEOs of closely held small and mid-sized companies who have joined forces to make a collective impact on our community far greater than any one of our firms could achieve alone.
Together, we focus on:
- Targeted philanthropy;
- Hands-on engagement from member CEOs;
- Measurable outcomes;
- Projects that will make a real difference to our communities.
Our first project’s goal is to improve high school graduation rates in Washington, DC. You may find us at Eastern Senior High School delivering new books, hosting a reception for honor roll students, or tutoring students after school. We’re pushing for more funding for DC public schools, along with more collaboration between well established non-profits serving DC and newer groups such as ours.
Companies for Causes’ hands-on efforts and financial support for Eastern High School have contributed to measurable successes since our partnership with Eastern began in December, 2011.
- 70% of tested students raised their Scholastic Reading Inventory by 50 or more points.
- Eastern’s Read 180 Lexile growth was the second highest in DC
- Students received recognition at honor roll ceremonies and enriching travel experiences, with C4C financial support
- Hundreds of new books donated by C4C were put to good use, supporting Eastern’s Drop Everything and Read (DEAR) program
- The DEAR program helped more than 20% of students grow more than one grade level in a year
- C4C provided 6-week internships for more than 20 students last summer.
While there are many challenges ahead, C4C is proud of Eastern’s progress in just one year. Find out how you can get involved!
Over time, we hope to see the Companies for Causes model expand to work on different projects in other communities. We stand ready to assist other like-minded CEOs who wish to adopt the Companies for Causes model in their home towns. And if you’d like to help us make a difference here in the greater Washington, DC region, please join us.